Mapping a SWAM Audio Unit parameter in Ableton Live (macOS)

Feel free to ask here all the necessary questions about our Virtual Instruments
join

Mapping a SWAM Audio Unit parameter in Ableton Live (macOS)

Post by join » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I play several SWAM virtual instruments with a Sylphyo (having a blast), and I generally load them in Ableton Live when I want to move beyond basic playing and do recording or live looping.
I recently figured out that I could extend the range of, say, my SWAM Flute, using an Instrument Rack and allocating the Flute and the Bass Flute to different pitch ranges (a classical keyboard split): when I play a C3 or higher it goes to the Flute, but when I play a B2 or lower it goes to the Bass Flute instead.

It's quite nice, but now I'd like to be able to vary different parameters, such as Style (Classic, Jazz, Funk, Ethnic), using the Instrument Rack's macro controls, so that I don't have to change it manually in each of the virtual instruments. Ideally, I would like to be able to automate that.

The problem is, it doesn't look like Live is able to look into the list of the parameters of the virtual instrument. There is a "Configure" button where you can click on a parameter on the GUI and Live is supposed to add the parameter to its own list, so that it can be controlled by, say, a macro control of an Instrument Rack. However, with SWAM instruments loaded as Audio Units (I'm on a Mac), it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone tried to do something like this and succeeded, or do the developers know about this issue?

By the way, I couldn't try out the VSTi version, because as it looks like Ableton Live doesn't like symbolic links, the VSTi versions of the SWAM engine instruments don't appear at all in Live.

MSchnell

Re: Mapping a SWAM Audio Unit parameter in Ableton Live (macOS)

Post by MSchnell » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:24 pm

join wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 pm
... such as Style (Classic, Jazz, Funk, Ethnic), ... , it doesn't look like Live is able to
I do this very easily with Reaper as a VST host, controlling multiple SWAM parameters (including "Style" of the Flute) by the TEC BBC and my keyboard. You can find the list of parameters controlled that way in other posts of mine.

I can decently recommend Reaper for live playing, as it's cheap and extremely versatile. Runs on PC and Mac and there also is a Linux preview version.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

join

Post by join » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Nice to know that it works on Reaper with the VSTi version! I'll make sure to look at your other posts, thanks.

As for switching to Reaper, I know it's really good and I like the company but it'd be quite difficult for me to throw away a decade of habits and carefully crafted setups with Live... Muscle memory and all that :).

join

Post by join » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:24 pm

I could make Live recognize the VSTi versions of the instruments by copying the .component files to the main VST folder in my system and renaming them to .vst, and everything works well.
But I can confirm that I still can't make Live recognize parameters of the GUI, even with the VSTi version.

join

Post by join » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Well, it turns out that Live's behavior has changed compared to earlier versions, and that it doesn't look at plugin parameters the same way anymore. Now, if a plugin has more than 32 parameters, it doesn't populate the parameter list at all.

However, it is possible to change its Options.txt file to force it populate the parameter list. Just add this line to the file:

Code: Select all

-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1
And now I can see and automate all the parameters from my SWAM instruments! Problem solved!

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 pm

join wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm
Now, if a plugin has more than 32 parameters, it doesn't populate the parameter list at all.
Seems extremely silly :( Why do they not just provide additional pages with the parameter list lines ?

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

leleswam

Post by leleswam » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 am

Hi,

we are aware about both issues:
1) aliases (i.e. symlinks) are not detected by Live (and some few other DAWs)
2) parameters cannot be mapped through the GUI

Workaround for 1) is to manually copy the .component files to the VST folders and rename the extension to .vst .

As for the issue 2) we will implement this feature in a future release.

Best,
Emanuele

Audio Modeling