Don't update to Kontakt 5_531U, or the Trombone 3 disappears

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
webmaster
Site Admin

Don't update to Kontakt 5_531U, or the Trombone 3 disappears

Post by webmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 am

To all our customers.

Some users reported that the Trombone 3 library was no longer visible after updating Kontakt to vers. 5_531U, due the previously reported missing nicnt file issue.

Our tests showed that this is unfortunately the case.

Our advice is therefore NOT to perform this Kontakt update until NI fixes the problem.

In case someone already performed the update and run into this issue:

I could get read of this issue by rolling back to the previous version of Kontakt. What I did is the following (on a PC):

Locate the executable by navigating to: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5 and selecting it.

Right-clicking, in the drop down menu, I selected: restore previous version, and chose the latest one, namely 5.3.0.6464.

This automatically performed the rollback. The Trombone 3 was again visible.

Hope this helps.

Giorgio

clif321

Re: Don't update to Kontakt 5_531U, or the Trombone 3 disapp

Post by clif321 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Any word on when NI will supply the fix for this? Isn't it just a matter of supplying the file that Kontakt says is missing when it tries to load Trombone 3.01?

Ben H

Post by Ben H » Sat May 03, 2014 8:46 am

Unfortunately some of the newer Kontakt libraries I use require 5.3.1, so I am forced to load the Trombone 3 by browsing through the files menu and loading it that way atm. :(

clif321

Post by clif321 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Yes, same issue here of not wanting to go back to the prior Kontakt build, but I didn't realize the Trombone 3.01 instruments would still load if I accessed them via the file browser. Thanks for the tip! I assigned the Trombone 3.01 directory to a "quick jump" slot, which makes an acceptable workaround for now. But let's hope NI gets us a real fix restoring access via the library tab soon.

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Dear Friends,

Native Instruments still did not provide a fix for the missing nicnt file issue. The problem is Kontakt-related, and concerns only the latest release, v. 5.3.1, which only NI can modify. Nevertheless, we found an acceptable, albeit temporary, workaround. Our solution was tested by several users, who found it effective, without any apparent side effect reported so far. From this feedback we feel quite optimistic about the effectiveness of this remedy. This workaround is however proposed to you "as it is", without any warranty that it will work in all cases, and that it will not involve any side effect.
Please note that our Trombone 3 does not use any nicnt file, to remain compatible with Kontakt 4. And everything is working well with Kontakt 5.3.0. It´s Kontakt 5.3.1 which "does not know that", looking for the nicnt file as it always does with libraries only compatible with Kontakt 5.

The proposed workaround is simple:

1. Copy "The Trombone 3.0_info.nkx" file into the same location (The Trombone 3.0 folder)
2. Rename the copy into "The Trombone 3.0.nicnt" (keeping the original nkx file untouched)

That´s all... :-)

As soon as you install a new, bug-free version of Kontakt or Service Center (depending on what provides the remedy) please do not forget to delete this "artificial" nicnt file.

Very important:
1. Please note that we cannot take any responsibility and guarantee proper functionality of this workaround on your system;
2. The alternative solution is to circumvent the problem by loading the instruments from the window opened on the operating system level (e.g. Windows Explorer), as suggested by Clif321.

We do hope that Native Instruments find a remedy soon. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Peter & Giorgio.

mozart999uk

Post by mozart999uk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Can I ask...are NI aware of the problem?

I contacted support before I found this thread and they don't seem to know about it and are asking to remote in to my machine to fix it (which I'd rather not let them do)

Giorgio Tommasini

Post by Giorgio Tommasini » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Facts are:

1) NI technical support is well aware of the problem, since they were informed by us as of March 21st.

2) They keep saying that they are actively working on it, so far to no avail.

3) We are not aware of any remedy which could be applied by remote control.

4) The two workarounds proposed by us seem to work, without any apparent side effect.

Giorgio & Peter

mozart999uk

Post by mozart999uk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks for confirming guys. I'll go back and politely decline their remote offer :-)

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Just stumbled across this post whilst looking for something else. I'd already applied the update, and tried using the Trombone today. Contrary to what most people seem to be experiencing I couldn't load it via the file tab in Kontakt - that just gave me a message that the library is encrypted and couldn't be loaded unless properly authorised (which it was). On the other hand I could load it through the libraries tab.

skmt

Post by skmt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:33 am

Hi.

I want to know the status of the missing nicnt file issue of The Trombone 3.0.
Has it still not fixed by Native Instruments?

The way to solve this issue is

1. Roll back Kontakt to the version 5.3.0
2. Copy "The Trombone 3.0_info.nkx" file into the same location (The Trombone 3.0 folder)
3. Rename the copy into "The Trombone 3.0.nicnt" (keeping the original nkx file untouched)

Is it OK?
I tried this way but the library still disappered.