!! Free update v. 1.0.3 for the Soprano & Bass Clarinets !!

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
webmaster
Site Admin

!! Free update v. 1.0.3 for the Soprano & Bass Clarinets !!

Post by webmaster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:28 pm

A free update v. 1.0.3 for the Soprano & Bass Clarinets is now available.

Please go to: http://www.swamengine.com/downloads and follow the instructions.

Release Notes v. 1.0.3
=============

New:

- Current sample rate displayed
- Added CC#7, CC#10 and CC#91 popup menu to Main Volume, Pan and Reverb Mix
- Optimized vibrato for wind controller bite sensor (pitch bend)
- Improved vibrato controlled by CC
- Improved compressor
- Improved "randomness"
- Improved growl
- Improved modal resonance
- Pitch Bend controls on GUI in decimals
- Pitch Bend down using positive values
- Additional "Instruments"

Fixes:

- Reduced CPU load when GUI is displayed (Mac only)
- Key Noise MIDI CC mapping
- Possible crash on OS X using Russian language

Enjoy!

Giorgio, Peter & the SWAM Team

kalkrishnan

Re: !! Free update v. 1.0.3 for the Soprano & Bass Clarinets !!

Post by kalkrishnan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks for the update.

Could you please elaborate on the statement: "Optimized vibrato for wind controller bite sensor (pitch bend)". How is it optimized? Normally, there are 2 CC's for Vibrato (intensity and rate). How does this translate to EWI bite sensor? How should I set it up for optimal performance?

Thanks!

Peter Siedlaczek

Post by Peter Siedlaczek » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi kalkrishnan,

2 CC´s for vibrato (CC1/ModWheel: intensity, CC19: frequency) are actually intended for the keyboard players. This is their only convenient way to play vibrato. However, Wind Controller players have an important advantage: they can play vibrato using their lips (Yamaha) or by "biting", as it is solved with the EWI. This means - they can vibrate in a way which is not far from playing a real woodwind instrument. They have full control over their vibrato - including the so important, slight vibrato applied frequently at the end of a note. This is actually how the majority of the Wind Controller players does it.
Now - the usual EWI setting is the assignment of the bite intensity to the pitch. However, as we know, vibrato on the woodwinds is not just a pitch modulation. There are much more complex parameters involved. The sentence "Optimized vibrato for wind controller bite sensor" means improved interplay of those parameters, as well as much more precise setting of the Pitch Bend range, which can be optimized by the user for the best vibrato. The Pitch Bend range can be now set with the accuracy of 10 ct (as a decimal number). Please apply the PB up and PB down setting in such a way, that the vibrato depth and its quality satisfy you and correspond to the way you play your vibrato by "biting". An example of a setting applied by one of our testers, who is an excellent EWI performer, is "-2/1", i.e. 2 semitones down, 1 semitone up.
I hope this helps... :-)

Peter

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Thx for the update !

Is the "improved interplay of vibrato parameters" always activated, or is it something you just have if you load the "wind controller" version of the instrument ?

David

leleswam

Post by leleswam » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 am

Hi David,

in woodwinds the relation between pitch, expression and the harmonic distribution of the sound is driven by physical laws. This is what we tried to achieve. So, yes, the "interplay of vibrato parameters" is always active, but not only for vibrato.
For example, a sudden change in the expression will produce a little detune and a richer harmonic content during the transition. This is how real instruments work.
You can change the intensity of such relations acting on the parameters "Dyn.Pitch" and "Dyn.Harm" on the main GUI.

Cheers!
Emanuele

Plougot

Re: !! Free update v. 1.0.3 for the Soprano & Bass Clarinets

Post by Plougot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am

I just noticed that, for some odd reasons, my latest post was swallowed by the forum.
Well, it was not a big one anyway, i was just saying "thx" ^^

Thanks, then !

kalkrishnan

Post by kalkrishnan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 am

Peter Siedlaczek wrote:Hi kalkrishnan,

An example of a setting applied by one of our testers, who is an excellent EWI performer, is "-2/1", i.e. 2 semitones down, 1 semitone up.
I hope this helps... :-)

Peter
Hi, Peter! Thanks for this reply. Could you please do me a favor and ask your tester how this was set up on the EWI, and whether it was an EWI4000s, EWI-USB or other? As far as I know, the EWI can only generate a symmetric up down pitch bend in response to the bite. I am curious how he achieved this.

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm

The pitch bend range can be "customised" in the swam Gui. Directly on the instrument interface. I suppose that if you set your ewi on some pitchbend "down up" or "up down", the response will be asymetrical.
But I would indeed be really interested in knowing how excellent ewi players set up the bite of their ewi...

Peter Siedlaczek

Post by Peter Siedlaczek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 am

As Plougot wrote, it is indeed the setting on the instrument GUI only. Our tester used standard, default EWI settings. As far as I know some important adjustments can/must be made mechanically at the mouthpiece (with a screw), but there is no reference/scale or whatsoever... But it seems that experienced EWI players play the plugin simply "out of the box" and the only recommended adjustment is the mentioned asymmetrical PB setting on he GUI (in the Wind Controller preset).

Peter

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 am

And when they play their ewi, do they only bite to do a vibrato, or do they also use their breath ? I always find that the bite is a bit too strong, even with 2/1 setting... but if i lower these, i might lose too much pitch bend range... I'm gonna try adjust the mouthpiece a little more... Do you happen to know what should be done in ordre to have a softer bite response ?

Thx,
David