Our plans

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
Phil999

Re: Our plans

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 am

well this sounds very complicated. But what's the difference between the French Horn and, say, a trumpet or trombone?

Shramm

Post by Shramm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 am

Phil999 wrote:well this sounds very complicated. But what's the difference between the French Horn and, say, a trumpet or trombone?
In short, SampleModeling are the first within my recollection, who thoroughly investigated and 'deconstructed' real instrument into separate important pieces and behavior patterns, and then they reconstructed it again, using sampling and rather complicated programming/modeling.

It's fundamentally different from the usual & widespread method of creating of virtual instruments, when you just record samples of each articulation (say, marcato or legato) in several layers - from pp to ff. And that's why they make the only one instrument group per year. This is insanely long and complex work!

The more nonlinear (and difficult to predict) behavior of the instrument and the more playing details you have to take into account, the more difficult to reconstruct it in virtual form.

Mr. Tommassini has already said above, what the kind of the new problems (compared to the trumpet and trombone), they had to solve at this time.

soundtracker

Post by soundtracker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

Great news.

I too would love to get woodwinds...but if the strings are more important to you i´ve got some questions:

a) will there also be a double-bass?
b) will it possible to play authentic double-stops and open strings?
c) are you planning on making the bow-position controllabe (so i can smoothly go from sul ponticello to sul tasto)?
d) speaking of sul pont: are you planning on recording/programming enhanced playing techniques? bowing the brigde, playing with enormous pressure so the instrument sounds like a wooden ship etc.?

Thanks and good luck, can´t wait for the Horn and the Tuba!

And by the way: the Ms. Sax-demo sound absolutely amazing. One more reason to pray for a clarinet (and the rest of the wood-family).

soundtracker

Post by soundtracker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 pm

And i forgot:
will it be possible to control the bowing? To create realistic "on the bow"-legato and bow-change-legato?

I know, these are complicated wishes...but i can´t imagine how a plugin should produce realistic solo strings without taking care of all these problems (and if you think about water in the horn...as somebody else said: if somebody can do it, it´s samplemodeling).

Shramm

Post by Shramm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

soundtracker wrote:if somebody can do it, it´s samplemodeling).
Quite agree. I don't know if SM will do all of your wishlist, but I'd like it too very much. All I know exactly is that SM are crazy and scrupulous guys!

searlstudio

Post by searlstudio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Me and my Akai EWI will be happy with Strings, woodwinds or whatever SM decides to create next. My wish list includes: Flute first and then Clarinet. Though great performing solo strings would also be exciting.
iMac 27-inch. 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM | Roland A-88, Akai EWI 4000s, NI MAschine MK2 | Steinberg UR824, Cubase 7 | The Trumpet, Trombones, Sax Family, Clarinets

zeppusclub

Post by zeppusclub » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 pm

+1 for flute ....

dstong

Post by dstong » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I would expect major problems trying to implement Strings for Wind Controllers, since the large number of parameters that need to be controlled require both hands and both feet on the earlier version released with Garritan.

Wind controllers require both hands and mouth leaving only the feet free for controller manipulation.

Perhaps violin for WC will take two players working in precise collaboration -one to play the WC, and another to play with foot pedals and perhaps a small keyboard (used only for some parameter control). A job for twins!

Still, I hope an attempt will be made for Wind Controller players to allow us to play some limited version of solo strings. I've enjoyed violin and cello samples with my EWI in spite of the fact that much of the expressiveness was (bowing force, direction, etc) were unavailable. It was and is still better than nothing at all.

Thanks,

Dan

kalkrishnan

Post by kalkrishnan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:32 pm

The original post is now over 2 years ago. So, just wondering if there is any progress on the Strings front. ;) Perhaps it is more difficult than anticipated?

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

I must admit i'm not waiting for strings as much as i am for flutes and double reed. Mainly because i don't see precisely how to go from a solo string to a string ensemble in an easy way... Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to have strings, but IMO, one of the assets of the samplemodeling instruments is that you create your section with solo instruments, allowing great expressiveness...
And my computer wouldn't like having something like 30 solo strings playing together :p Maybe our computer are not ready yet for that :D