Our plans

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
webmaster
Site Admin

Our plans

Post by webmaster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 am

Hi all,

it perhaps the right time to talk about Samplemodeling plans, in view of the experience gathered with Kontakt-based virtual instruments, and of the recent availability of Stefano’s SWAM new engine.

KONTAKT:

Althought Kontakt became popular as a sampler, basically a sophisticated player of sample collections, named libraries, it was subject to a constant process of refinement, making it a suitable platform for developing virtual instruments.

The deep differences between a traditional sample library and a virtual instrument are sometimes overlooked. A virtual instrument is a program that implements the functions of a real instrument by computer, sensors and actuators capable to modulate and shape articulations in real time.

Development of realistic virtual solo instruments was the aim of Samplemodeling. In this respect, Kontakt proved to be a quite suitable platform. In fact, our next instruments, French horn and Tuba are developed, and will be released on Kontakt 4.2.

SWAM:

Stefano’s acoustic modeling engine was developed to create plugins of solo instruments suitable for several hosts. Strictly speaking, it’s not a platform, since it cannot be programmed by developers or users. Hence, it cannot load, nor import, instruments created on different platforms.
The philosophy behind this engine is somewhat different from our previous instruments. It aims at reconstructing articulations by exploiting physically oriented techniques, rather than complex sample modulation. As a consequence, the instruments are intuitive to play, but may require some knowledge of the physical behaviour of the real instrument, and may be slightly more CPU intensive.

Stefano’s line was conceived to join, and not to substitute Samplemodeling Kontakt-based instruments. For this, and the technical reasons discussed above, we do not plan to “update” our previous instruments to the new engine.
An exception might concern The Sax Brothers. Although developed on Kontakt, using an unconventional engine, they suffer from a slight jitter problem, caused by the internal clock working in microseconds rather than synchronized to the sample. That’s why better result are obtained by setting the audio card at 88.2 kHz. The new SWAM engine clock is synchronized to the sample, so that this problem does not occur.

While it might be worthwhile (and sweet) :D to recompose the whole Sax Family using the new engine, please be assured that Samplemodeling will always value and protect your investments, as we demonstrated by providing several free major updates. A crossgrade plan at a very reasonable cost will be offered to all our sax customers. Future customers may take advantage of sax-bundles exploiting both platforms.

On a different note, the SWAM (Synchronous Wavelength Acoustic Modeling) engine may open new avenues for the development of exceptional solo strings. Also, Stefano works really fast... ;)

Thus, lovers (and enemies) of the Stradivari and the Gofriller may expect exciting news.

Best regards,

Giorgio & Peter

DanRad

Re: Our plans

Post by DanRad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 pm

I have nothing but the highest regard for all your work. I hope that the new platform allows us to reach even higher levels of musical expression. The bar was set quite high with the creation of the Trombone which is so much like a real trombone that it starts telling bad jokes in between takes, JUST LIKE A REAL TROMBONIST!!

Happy New Year to all of you and we appreciate and anxiously await your latest creations. (my dream is a clarinet and flute... hint... hint. I actually lost a gig yesterday because the client wanted clarinet. They thought my (Sample Modeling) Sax was absolutely believable, but insisted on a clarinet...)

Dan Rad

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 am

webmaster wrote: An exception might concern The Sax Brothers. Although developed on Kontakt, using an unconventional engine, they suffer from a slight jitter problem, caused by the internal clock working in microseconds rather than synchronized to the sample. That’s why better result are obtained by setting the audio card at 88.2 kHz.
so that's the reason. I thought it was because the samples were recorded in 88.2 kHz.

Thanks for the info, it gets more clear now.
my dream is a clarinet and flute
we share the same dream. But I'm very happy with what I have already got.

Pat S

Post by Pat S » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:40 pm

As a lover of the Gofriller (which I now control with an Eigenharp Alpha) and a poor soul who was never able to track down a copy of the Stradivarius, I am VERY excited about the prospect of solo strings in the not too very distant future. Thank you for your very complicated-sounding efforts on our behalf!

Pat

Shramm

Post by Shramm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:43 pm

That's good news, I think!

haydn

Post by haydn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I can't wait for the french horn library. Was just thinking a couple days ago that the weakest thing in my mockups are the french horns. If it's as good as the trombone, I will be very happy!

Jim

Shramm

Post by Shramm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 am

I guess, making fhorn is MUCH more difficult than trombone.

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 am

if yes, why? I'm not educated in brass instruments, so I wonder what makes you think so.

Shramm

Post by Shramm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 am

Phil999 wrote:if yes, why? I'm not educated in brass instruments, so I wonder what makes you think so.
it's all about non-linear behavior of instrument, I think Mr. Tommasini will confirm my words.

Giorgio Tommasini

Post by Giorgio Tommasini » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Yes, very difficult. For a number of reasons, mainly related to sampling. Among which:

1) complex sound radiation pattern
2) within-sample timbral inhomogeneity
3) multiple-takes timbral inhomogeneity
4) water-in-the tubings noise artifacts

A task for Samplemodeling.....

(It already sounds fantastic !) ;)

Giorgio