!!! The new Samplemodeling Viola is out !!!

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
tclement

Re: !!! The new Samplemodeling Viola is out !!!

Post by tclement » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 am

You might also look at Source Audio's Hot Hand USB (HH). I am using the HH with my EWI and the SM Viola.

I attached the HH to the lower end of my EWI with velcro. I am able to reliably control two CC's via motion.

I'm controlling the SM Viola's Portamento speed by raising/lowering my EWI while playing.

I'm using the HH to trigger (via motion/gestures) growls and falls on the other SM instruments.

The SM Viola is very responsive to the EWI and sounds very nice.

While not available yet, the Livid Instrument's Minim looks very interesting for augmenting live control of complex instruments from the EWI.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/hot ... nd_usb.php

http://shop.lividinstruments.com/minim/

-Tim

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:09 pm

I've ordered two Leap Motion controllers (one for my DJ son) and I'll report once I get things running.

In addition to mapping continuous attributes like vibrato depth with the leap motion, it would be cool if one could switch performance modes instead of using the current key switches. I'm guessing it will be cumbersome to hit a key switch if also using the same hand for expression.
The mode I'm most interested in switching is mono/poly. Perhaps one could control this by something like the fingers being spread or together.

I also have midi switch pedals I could use... can they be mapped to the mono/poly control? I tried mapping it to that midi channel, but I'm guessing it wants a continuous controller, not a switch.

I'm wondering if it will be awkward having to suspend ones hand in thin air, with no force feedback. However theremin virtuosos can get a great amount of expression out of a very simple electronic sound, and the leap motion provides a lot more dimensions of control, so I'm optimistic.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Duncan wrote:I've ordered two Leap Motion controllers (one for my DJ son) and I'll report once I get things running.
Let us know what you find !
Duncan wrote: it would be cool if one could switch performance modes instead of using the current key switches. ...The mode I'm most interested in switching is mono/poly. Perhaps one could control this by something like the fingers being spread or together.

I also have midi switch pedals I could use... can they be mapped to the mono/poly control? I tried mapping it to that midi channel, but I'm guessing it wants a continuous controller, not a switch.
Again if everything else fails, Reaper is your friend. Regarding Midi you can program just about everything you can think of.
Duncan wrote: I'm wondering if it will be awkward having to suspend ones hand in thin air, with no force feedback. However theremin virtuosos can get a great amount of expression out of a very simple electronic sound, and the leap motion provides a lot more dimensions of control, so I'm optimistic.
We are eagerly waiting for your demos. Sound-wise the Viola should be a lot more expressive than the theremin, while played using a keyboard allowing for by far more exact playing and much faster sequences.

If someone in fact gets some decent expertise with the multiple controllers you mentioned the result will be great !

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 am

Not only but also:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/

It's a midi footpedal where each footswitch has several 'degrees of freedom' if that's the right phrase. Being as it's a midi controller you can get it to modulate anything in your DAW.

S

Maddcow

Post by Maddcow » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 am

Well, I finally had some spare cash and bought the Viola the other day. Wow! I love it! I'm really impressed with the sound and playability of this instrument with my WX5 wind controller. It was perfect "right out of the box" and the only tweak I made was to map Vibrato Depth to CC02 as it gave me just a little more expression.

Well done SM! I can envisage The Viola becoming an integral part of my instrument palette.

To the SM team: I was really interested to see that the MIDI Mapping parameters for The Viola include min/max settings and believe this will be incredibly useful. Is there any chance this could be introduced to the other SWAM instruments? I can think of many situations where users would appreciate having this extra degree of control, rather than having to configure this separately in our DAWs (for me, it's MainStage). Having MIDI min/max right there in the SWAM instrument settings is very handy.
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3

leleswam

Post by leleswam » Wed May 25, 2016 8:25 am

The new upcoming update of the Woodwinds includes the Min/Max rescaling for each MIDI CC mapping.
Stay tuned!

Best!
Emanuele
SWAM team

Maddcow

Post by Maddcow » Wed May 25, 2016 8:47 am

That's fantastic news!
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3