!!! The new Samplemodeling Viola is out !!!

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
Kobir

Re: !!! The new Samplemodeling Viola is out !!!

Post by Kobir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 am

I just installed and started testing with EWI. Default wind controller modulates pitch too much, so it needs some tweaking, but it sounds rich, beautiful and alive.

ondomaler

Post by ondomaler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:54 am

What truly amazes me, of course in addition to sounding great, is the download size which suggests little (or perhaps no :o ) samples but certainly lots of modeling.

Can an instrument sounding so real be the result of pure (NoSample)modeling :?:

Rabbit531

Post by Rabbit531 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:16 pm

zeppusclub wrote:Hi everybody ....

I was wondering if it could be played with the ewi, what could be the result ????

Regards,

Yvan
Works great with EWI USB - i find the expression pedal harder on a keyboard to control than my breath on a wind controller. Like anything else, there is a learning curve - and of course thinking like a viola and how it is played instead of a woodwind that sounds like a viola played on a wind instrument.

Kobir

Post by Kobir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Completely agree. The Swam instruments and especially this one, requires different playing technic to sound realistic on wind controller. I treat it like acting and getting into character. You need to adjust your breathing and fingers to the "soul" of the instrument and than the result is magic :)

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:22 pm

ondomaler wrote:Can an instrument sounding so real be the result of pure (NoSample)modeling :?:
Sample Modeling does a really great job on that behalf. But others can do this, as well, in their instrument segment. Do you know the Roland V-Piano ?

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

zeppusclub

Post by zeppusclub » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:19 am

Cool ... a new challenge ... Grappelli ... it will change me from Miles ... so, i will introduce viola sound in the band ...

https://soundcloud.com/zedjazzmusique/sets/azeo

I'll order this new toy next week ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

ondomaler

Post by ondomaler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 pm

MSchnell wrote:
ondomaler wrote:Can an instrument sounding so real be the result of pure (NoSample)modeling :?:
Sample Modeling does a really great job on that behalf. But other can do this, as well, in their instrument segment. Do you know the Roland V-Piano ?

-Michael
Sample Modeling has indeed been doing a great job, but up to now always by the combination of samples & modeling (as the company name implies). In all likelihood, that is also what happens within Roland's V-piano: That there is a basic set of good piano samples in the box which are further morphed into a wide array of differently sounding piano tone varieties by DSP. Isn't that so :?:

This new Viola seems to me fundamentally different than all the SM instruments before (I am the proud owner of them all 8-) ) because of the seeming absence of any samples under the hood! If that is true, they must have discovered a radically different approach to making virtual instruments. Am I the only one here who is under that impression :?

Cheers

Rabbit531

Post by Rabbit531 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:31 pm

ondomaler wrote:
MSchnell wrote:
Sample Modeling does a really great job on that behalf. But other can do this, as well, in their instrument segment. Do you know the Roland V-Piano ?

-Michael
Sample Modeling has indeed been doing a great job, but up to now always by the combination of samples & modeling (as the company name implies). In all likelihood, that is also what happens within Roland's V-piano: That there is a basic set of good piano samples in the box which are further morphed into a wide array of differently sounding piano tone varieties by DSP. Isn't that so :?:

This new Viola seems to me fundamentally different than all the SM instruments before (I am the proud owner of them all 8-) ) because of the seeming absence of any samples under the hood! If that is true, they must have discovered a radically different approach to making virtual instruments. Am I the only one here who is under that impression :?

Cheers
That may be as the file size is really small - i thought i was missing something after downloading. Only 5.3 MB for just the Mac 64 bit version zipped. The CPU load as stated in the manual is quite high though.

I also just wanted to say that the SM Viola is pretty damn good - so expressive. I have been waiting a long time for this. Now i have to learn how to harness its power and play it properly.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:47 pm

ondomaler wrote:In all likelihood, that is also what happens within Roland's V-piano: That there is a basic set of good piano samples in the box which are further morphed into a wide array of differently sounding piano tone varieties by DSP. Isn't that so :?:
No. All decent descriptions say that it is pure physical modeling.

They use DSPs (dedicated signal processor chips) instead of normal CPUs to get the work done. DSP do very fast calculations but usually don't like manage a big (sample-) RAM.

Moreover one of their Presets is "all tripple silver", the virtualiziation of a some 10 meters long instruments with three strings on all keys down to the deepest with silver-wound strings instead of copper-wound. As such a beast does not exist, it can't be sampled.

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I hesitated to play the viola, a string instrument, with the EWI, a wind controller. But why not? It's quite good to play, with much variation. I like the 'raspy' attack sound that sometimes occurs, just like a real viola when played that way (haven't played a real viola though, but a real cello).

Great new instrument. Many thanks to the Samplemodeling team.