Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings

All the official new product / update announcements from the Samplemodeling team
MSchnell

Re: Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings

Post by MSchnell » Mon May 13, 2019 4:32 am

dstong wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 pm
MIDI standard upgrade that would break the limit on dynamic range.
What do you mean by this ?
In the standard, we already do have
- "high resolution CC": optionally additionally send a message with CC # + 32 for lower 7 bis of the value to get a resolution of 14 bits
- "high resolution velocity": optionally additionally send a message with CC # 88 for lower 7 bis of the value to get a resolution of 14 bits
- Midi MPE (allowing for dynamically controlling multiple pressed notes separately)

High resolution CC and MPE wold be very appropriate for (multiple-)solo string, woodwind and brass instruments. I decently miss both of these with my Breath controller and my Seaboard.

On top of this, Midi 2.0 (released in January 2019) introduces the possibility of doing CC - alike messages with a resolution of 32 bits (with a much increased volume of data).

But I feel that 14 bit is good enough in close to all cases.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

windplayer

Post by windplayer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:15 am

Will your Solo strings be devided like the Audiomodeling-strings (Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass), or will you sell an "all-in-one-package" for Kontakt with several strings?

VegardDahlin

Post by VegardDahlin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi. First of all, I'd like to say that I am extremely excited for this library. Both Sample Modeling and Audio Modeling are integral parts of my template, and their modelled approach seems to me as the best way forward for creating realistic mock-ups ITB.

As an avid user of VSL Mir Pro, my template consists mainly of solo-instruments (VSL Dimensions Strings, SM and AM, Chris Hein Solo Strings, etc), and the flexibility of freely placing each player in his/her own seating is important to me. This way I am able to build ensembles one player at the time, which gives me full control of each players tone and placement on the soundstage, as well as limitless options to tweak each players performance.

Reading some of Peter's comments over at V.I. Control, it sounds as if the SM string ensembles are all contained in one instance of Kontakt. If so - will there still be an option to build ensembles from solo players in the same way as is now possible with The Trumpet, French Horn and Trombone? I guess I am echoing Windplayer's question here;)

Giorgio Tommasini

Post by Giorgio Tommasini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 pm

windplayer wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:15 am
Will your Solo strings be devided like the Audiomodeling-strings (Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass), or will you sell an "all-in-one-package" for Kontakt with several strings?

They will be on sale as a single package, including Viola, Violin, Cello, and Double Bass, Solo and Unison Ensemble. The price for the entire package will be Euro 399 (+ VAT if applied in your country) with a 10% time-limited discont for all Samplemodeling customers, as usual.

Giorgio Tommasini

Post by Giorgio Tommasini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm

VegardDahlin wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Will there still be an option to build ensembles from solo players in the same way as is now possible with The Trumpet, French Horn and Trombone?
Certainly. The purpose of our Ensemble Strings is to provide our customers with ready to play, expressive and realistic unison ensembles. With the option of choosing, in a continuos manner, the apparent size of the ensemble, the type of vibrato (random vs. synchronous), vibrato rate etc. But, of course, nobody prevents the user from using solo instruments, if appropriately customized for differentiation, to make realistic chamber ensembles, following individual lines as well.

Best,

Giorgio & Peter.

amouretmusic

Post by amouretmusic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Hello Giorgio.

when can we buy string ensemble?

best regards

eric

dstong

Post by dstong » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 am

I guess I remember a series of discussions about the dynamic range limitations and heard that a new MIDI protocol would solve that problem and allow us to play a much larger range of dynamics, from very soft to very loud sounds. In fact I think the discussion came out questions I had asked after using the TEC (?) USB Breath Controller on a keyboard for the first time, because there was a problem with starting wind sounds very gradually from a whisper. There was no such issue with wind controllers, and the explanation had to do with some MIDI limitations.

I had no idea that MIDI 2.0 was recently finalized but from the quick read, I just did, it sounds like the dynamics problem will now be solved at some point.

Here's hoping that all of the samplemodeling virtual instruments will be able to make update to get the benefits of MIDI 2.0. I would rather have more dynamic range etc. than I usually make use of than not enough.

Thanks,

Dan

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:13 am

Plain old High Resolution CC and Velocity would solve any such dynamics problems without the need to look at - or wait for - Midi 2.0. I have been discussing this since a long time with the appropriate companies. Unfortunately neither of TEC, Audio Modeling, or Sample Modeling - while all being interested in this issue - released something on that behalf, yet, maybe blocking each other.

Maybe Sample Modeling even can't make progress, as they relay on NI Kontakt, and same might be unable to provide High Resolution CC to the hosted library.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de