Sluggish tuba

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
Pat S

Sluggish tuba

Post by Pat S » Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 am

I find that Tuba V3 is really sluggish when played with my Yamaha WX-5 controller... much more sluggish to respond to note changes than my acoustic tuba. Any way to adjust the software to make it more immediately responsive to fingering or breath inputs?

MSchnell

Re: Sluggish tuba

Post by MSchnell » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I use the Trumpet (that supposedly is very similar software) with a TEC BBCv2, and the system is perfectly fast.

Maybe your DAW / Audio converter has a latency problem. Did you try any other realtime playable virtual instruments with your system ?

Usually the internal sound hardware of a PC is not decently usable for live playing.

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Tue May 29, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Mon May 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Do you have similar trouble with the Sample Modeling French Horn that comes with the Tuba? If so, then I would suspect the DAW/ASIO settings, as Michael mentioned, since the French Horn is quite responsive.

If French Horn is fine, then I agree that the Tuba has a slower response by default than the other brass instruments. I've only had minimal play time on acoustic tuba, but I felt like the response time was pretty reasonable in the sample modeling default for my usage (and my lack of tuba performance skills). However there is a setting on the "Controllers 1" page in the UI to set the attack time via CC26. Can you pull that to zero to see if that helps?

-John

Pat S

Post by Pat S » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 am

Thanks for the replies. No problem with other sounds: French horn, strings, etc. It seems to be isolated to the tuba. I play all through Garage Band. I play acoustic tuba and the software instrument response is MUCH slower... enough to make it hard to play quicker pieces. Anything that I can adjust to speed things up?

Again, thanks!

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:47 am

Did you have any improvement when setting CC26 to zero? It makes a big difference in the ability to play quick passages with crisper articulation.