Trumpet 3 does not hold the same note more than 11 sec?

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
pddoctor

Trumpet 3 does not hold the same note more than 11 sec?

Post by pddoctor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 am

Hi,

I am using Trumpet 3 with EWI 5000. When I blow EWI to hold the same note for long perioid, I found that Trumpet 3 always stops sounding that note automatically despite I am keeping blowing(no matter how strongly I am browing, or change the breath velocity. It seems I can only hold the same note for about 10-11 sec. Is this a bug ? anyway to fix this?

Thank you so much.

Best,

Min

MSchnell

Re: Trumpet 3 does not hold the same note more than 11 sec?

Post by MSchnell » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 am

As I wrote in the other post, the Trumpet also does not play the last played note again, when after a trill holding the key and stopping and then starting to blow (no matter how hard). (Supposedly this gesture only can be done with a Breath controller, but not with a wind controller.)

Can you confirm this ?

Maybe these issues are related.

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

pddoctor

Post by pddoctor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks for quick reply ,Michael.

I switched the controller to keyboard and found that Trumpet 3 only sustains the note no more than about 11 seconds while I am holding a key. Is there any way we can change this? I am working on the song where I need to hold the same note for 20 seconds.

All the best,

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't know what the official reason is, but I always thought this was by design. The main trumpet webpage says
All samples are unlooped, and have a minimum duration of about 10 sec.
so by being unlooped, I figured this was expected even though it doesn't indicate a maximum duration. I never run into this personally because I use EWI for writing and recording and phrasing is typically limited by my own breath control, which sadly isn't professional quality. :? I'm not aware of any workaround to sustain longer with a solo instrument. If your phrase is for ensemble playing unison you can stagger breathing just like a real ensemble would.

--John

ChetSinger

Post by ChetSinger » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 am

As the documentation says, it's by design. It adds to the instrument's realism imo, because real trumpeters don't play 3-second looped sounds. Instead, their tone contains minor irregularities over the entire course of each note and they eventually run out of breath. The Trumpet's 10-second unlooped samples duplicate this.