EWI 5000 settings

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
DaveRoberts

EWI 5000 settings

Post by DaveRoberts » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm

I mostly use the TEC BC2 with the SM instruments and am greatly impressed with its expressive capabilities. As a pianist, I also love that it frees my left hand for accompaniment.

But I occasionally play the EWI 5000 wind controller, which I'm also new to. Can anyone recommend or share the settings they use with SM instruments?

MSchnell

Re: EWI 5000 settings

Post by MSchnell » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 am

Hi Dave

Some weeks ago I send you a recommendation about settings for the SWAM instruments when using the BBCv2.

How did you get along ?

I too am a (would be) pianist and I too do have a Wind Controller (a old Yamaha WX7), but I found that there is close to no point in practicing the wind controller fingering for me.

Why do you want to use a Wind controller ?

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

DaveRoberts

Post by DaveRoberts » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks, Michael, for the TEC breath controller settings. They helped me set my own preferences, which currently are volume and vibrato depth for the nod, and growl and breath sounds for the tilt.

You're right that a wind controller is much more limiting and difficult to learn and play than a breath controller. But there's a certain coolness factor in playing a wind instrument, particularly in a jazz gig.

The TEC BBC2, while definitely giggable, is a bit geeky looking with the hula hoop-like thing around the head, the pacifier in the mouth and the nodding and the tilting. Plus you've got the added gear of a keyboard (I'm currently using a Vortex keytar) for the right hand in addition to the piano for the left.

Unfortunately, the EWI 5000's built-in sounds are lame compared to the SM instruments. So it's terrific to be able to combine them. But, being new to both, I'm not sure I've got the best CC settings on the EWI for the SM instruments. I'll just start experimenting to see what I can come up with.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 pm

For me sound is important while "coolness" is no issue at all (any more - I'm 64). So I do use the BBCv2 at gígs with my band (we are doing Jazz and other stuff).

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveRoberts

Post by DaveRoberts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:28 pm

That's great to know that it's not a problem at a gig. I may try it this weekend. I'm 62, so I'm also past any pretense of coolness if I ever had any.

I might also bring the Roli Seaboard Block to see how that goes. See my post under Double Bass for more on the Roli SWAM instruments.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am

I admire your being so brave to attempt to learn to handle the wind controller :o

I feel I built myself something that I esteem being the best controller keyboard of the Universe :lol: .

It consists of a VPC1 (true Grand Piano keyboard for computer use), a controller board with Motor Faders, the BBCv2 and an embedded PC (mounted in a trunk together with the audio interface) running appropriate software (based on Reaper), that allows for making use of the hardware and the multiple VSTis / VSTs doing the sounds.

The upper keyboard right now is my old DX7, that IMHO offers a really good playability for sounds like those provided by SWAM instruments, but also for Hammond stuff.

In a perfect world I would try to replace it by a Seaboard, but the price is too steep.

-Michael

DaveRoberts

Post by DaveRoberts » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:03 am

I just listened to a couple of your SoundCloud tunes, "Night and Day" and "Misty." That's a very nice group that you play in. I like your singer -- she reminds me a bit of Astrud Gilberto -- and enjoyed the sax solos.

The VPC1 sounds quite good on your intro to "Misty." But at 65 pounds, is it a bit heavy to lug on a gig?

What instruments do you play with the BBC2? I played it for the first time in a gig last night with a variety of SM instruments, and it went well. It's so much more expressive and colorful than the piano. It's like having a rainbow at your fingertips instead of being limited to the black and whites.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks for the KUDOs !!!

The recordings on SoundCloud are two years old, and the last time we did a "professional" recording session.

Unfortunately the singer has moved to another town, 12 months ago, and right now we are working with changing singers and trying to find a new and stable basis. Hence also a great part of the program needs to be changed, as I don't think we can find a singer who is able to do Carol's Brazilian songs decently. She was born in Rio and does have that feeling in her genes. We were the only group she ever worked with, and I am very sad that we lost her, and she moreover does not do any singing any more right now without us supporting her.

I only have the VCP-1 since about a month, so it is not played in those recordings. At that time I used my 35 years old KX88 - which is not a bad keyboard, either, but with the VPC1 you can handle the dynamics of the sound a lot more exactly and expressively. Moreover I now use NI "Grandeur" for Grand Piano (instead of NI "Alicia Keys" you heard on SoundCloud), which also provides a better playability and more dynamic sound.

Regarding transport, the KX88 is not that much lighter than the VPC-1. Packed in a decent case and with the help of the other group members, transport is no problem at all. :)

At the time of those recordings I only had the BCCv1, so the flute sound is a lot more vivid today when done with the BBCv2 (providing nod and tilt sensitivity).

At gigs, the main sound I use with the BCC is the SWAM flute, e.g. for solos like that in "Night and Day". Additionally I occasionally use the SWAM Cello for conter-melodies (I feel I am still not trained enough on that instrument to do decent solos, even though with private sessions I sometimes try :) ). Right now we are practicing "Birdland" (by Weather-report) and here I mainly use the Trumpet3 Flugelhorn.

-Michael