Trumpet "Expression" = CC11 vs CC2

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
MSchnell

Trumpet "Expression" = CC11 vs CC2

Post by MSchnell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I use SWAM instruments with a Breath Controller in a rather complex setup.

Now I just got the Kontakt based Trumpet 3.

With the SWAM instruments it's perfectly obvious that it dos not matter if you use CC2 or CC 11 (or any other) for expression. So my global standard is CC2.

Now the Trumpet seems to default for expression (here called "Dynamics") on CC11 and while I easily could define CC2 instead the GUI and the documentation seems to suggest that the behavior might not be exactly identical regarding the two Midi controller numbers, maybe intended for use with Wind Controller vs. Foot Pedal.

I'd like to exactly know the implications, if any.

Thanks,
-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

ModernBard

Re: Trumpet r CC11 vs CC2

Post by ModernBard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 am

welcome to the brass, Michael! The UI has different "pages" which can be seen by the drop down box in the bottom right of the UI. There you should find a unique page for Wind Controller and Breath Controller. You should be able to switch to the breath controller page and select the "Use Breath Controller". That should set all the parameters that work best with breath controller instead of manually changing dynamics CC mapping.

Hope this helps.
John

MSchnell

Re: Trumpet r CC11 vs CC2

Post by MSchnell » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for the answer !

In fact I did set the "BC Mode" and this automatically set expression to CC2, as I would need it.

I seem to have found that (like with the SWAM instruments) the setting of the mode just sets the parameters to some appropriate predefined default, and there is not hidden setting generated by the mode selection (or by the selection of expression being CC2 vs CC11). Only the user guide obfuscates this rather obvious behavior.

So I am happy on that behalf.

Thanks again,
-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

ModernBard

Re: Trumpet "Expression" = CC11 vs CC2

Post by ModernBard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, I think that's the case. I use Wind Controller button which also disables portamento time because on wind controller I can't separately control note on velocity separate from the breath rate. So the single button control is helpful there.

I think a key difference from the SWAM instruments method is that those seem to load a full preset of all instrument settings. So if you start tweaking while in default keyboard mode for example and then you realize you need to be in breath controller mode, switching via the Reset | Default Breath Controller will undo those other changes that may be unrelated to the dynamics controller. It's not such a big deal for me since I rarely switch between input methods (EWI->keybd), but the brass method only affects the input dynamics settings without resetting everything else.