Unwanted effect with Mr. Sax T

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
windplayer

Unwanted effect with Mr. Sax T

Post by windplayer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:39 am

Hello! I use the instrument Mr Sax T within Band-in-a-Box.
I have a problem that Mr Sax sometimes is bending notes (like a "glissando") which is not wanted.
I play breath controller (EWI4000S). Do you have an idea what to do to avoid that effect?

ModernBard

Re: Unwanted effect with Mr. Sax T

Post by ModernBard » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 am

Not sure if this is what's affecting you, but I had similar situations with EWI-USB when I first started playing it. It turned out to be my inadvertent use of the touch sensitive pitch bend under the right thumb area. I think by default it sends the same type of pitchbend MIDI signal as the bite controller. So assuming that's what is happening in your situation, in order to avoid, you either have to configure the EWI to send something other than pitch bend for the thumb control or change the grip. I eventually got used to the grip required on mine and even able to use it musically by intention in some cases that call for it.

If that's not your situation, you may need to provide some audio sample to give a better idea of the effect you are hearing. Even better if you can capture the MIDI signal, though I'm not familiar with Band in a Box to know if it supports MIDI capture.

Hope that helps.

-John

windplayer

Post by windplayer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Hello and thanks for your answer.
I switched off the midi-function and there is indeed an improvement.
But nevertheless, it is strange: In Sonar X1 (DAW), Mr Sax T reacts in another way than in Band-in-a-Box (Better!).
Now, in Band-in-a-Box,there is an (unwanted and unnatural) gliding between notes, if I play fast and blow with little strength. If I blow hard in the EWI (with greater strength) and fast, there is no such effect.

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:12 am

Ok, that sounds different than what I was describing then. That sounds more like a portamento feature. I don't have Mr. Sax T, but I do have the SWAM saxophones. In the SWAM interface you can disable that by a switch called "Transit. Time". Setting it to be controlled by CC instead of velocity effectively eliminates. I don't know what the equivalent setting is in Mr Sax T, but I imagine it is similar.

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 am

Take a look at "P.T.Source" in the Mr Sax T manual (page 8). You may want "CC5 to P.T." for having portamento time tied to CC instead of velocity.

windplayer

Post by windplayer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 am

Thank you for your advise. Now, it works! :-)

ModernBard

Post by ModernBard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Yay! Glad to hear it.