Any Midi EVI users? Problems with Portamento

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
solocornetto

Any Midi EVI users? Problems with Portamento

Post by solocornetto » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 pm

My controller is a hand-built Nyle Steiner Midi EVI. My first SWAM purchase is the cello. I am using the SWAM wind controller settings. I am having trouble with portamento using CC5. I am gettting long portamento times with and the portamento is not shutting off. I have tried reversing the values from 0 - 127 to 127 - 0 which I read somewhere here but is has not helped. Other ideas? I know CC5 works from my controller with hardware synths. I have looked at Midi data streams and see occasional CC 65 which I do not understand. I really want to have portamento with solo strings.

I have contacted support and will send them some midi and audio files. Checking to see if other users have had this challenge.

Thank you.

MSchnell

Re: Any Midi EVI users? Problems with Portamento

Post by MSchnell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:24 am

-> http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list
65 is an "on/off-Switch".

Seemingly sent by the controller.

Repeating the same value (0=off / 127=On) might be just a safety feature and not supposed to trigger any events.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

ModernBard

Re: Any Midi EVI users? Problems with Portamento

Post by ModernBard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Sounds like your controller's CC5 may be sending only on/off (127/0) instead of continuous (0, 1, 2, 3, ...). You can check that with a MIDI monitor in your DAW. If that's the case then the trigger will be turning portamento on/off and you'll need to select the portamento time in the UI in Options | MIDI Mapping. Instead of zero (longest portamento time) for the max, choose a sensible number for your style (maybe in the 15-40 range?). I did something like this for enabling portamento temporarily via a simple on/off foot pedal.