SWAM Wind instrument controller remap

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
danmackey

SWAM Wind instrument controller remap

Post by danmackey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:06 pm

I was watching a demo of the cello yesterday by Perry D'armond and I was noticing a slider on the cello GUI moving as volume was increased which led me to open up the cello and find that parameter which was bow pressure. I went into the options and midi mapping and remapped it to CC2 for my EWI which will also work for the WX series being that it is the breath Parameter and was able to achieve the same effect which made the dynamics more naturally expressive.
This led me to explore all of the Swam wind instruments and search out the best parameter to achieve a similar response. After some trial and error I discovered that re-mapping the Harmonic structure (Harm. Struct.) on the main GUI to CC2 achieved this for all of the winds as well. It is the slider in the middle of the GUI for the Saxes, Clarinets and Double Reeds. On the Flutes GUI that is located under the key noise parameter on the right side of the GUI. Click the options button and it should take to midi mapping on the GUI. Harmonic structure's default CC is CC26. Changing that to CC2 will re map that parameter to breath. Going back to the main GUI page you will see the value change with the breath intensity and the harmonic structure of the tone will also change in intensity adding a much more natural tonal characteristic as the volume increases with the breath. I am sure there are some wind controller users who may have figured this out and this post is for those new to this or have only loaded the default wind settings. I find this improves the dynamic quality of these instruments and makes them sound even more natural. :geek: 8-)

dickbarbour

Re: SWAM Wind instrument controller remap

Post by dickbarbour » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks for this, Dan. I'm so lazy and the SWAM instruments sound so good already, that I seldom take the time to learn much about the settings. I will try this and report back.
Dick

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:41 pm

I don't exactly get your meaning. Do you suggest to map both Harmonic structure and Expression to Breath ?

If this really is better in most cases, I suppose the SWAM team would have tweaked the physical model accordingly.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

dstong

Post by dstong » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:31 am

danmackey,

I agree that CC2 provides a much better result, esp with respect to Vibrato, but I haven't played with Harmonic Structure. Once I get taxes done, I will see if it works better for me and report back.

Thanks,

Dan

Kobir

Post by Kobir » Tue May 09, 2017 2:22 am

I have expirmented lately with mapping more parameters to CC2 beside expression and found that it indeed adds lots of realism and dynamics to all SWAM instruments.
This was not easy to do prior to the recent SWAM updates that enabled defining minimum and maximum values for each Midi parameter, as each one requires different range for best results.

I found that mapping CC2 to breath noise, harmonic structure, vibrato rate and formants work very well for flutes, saxes and clarinets. I control vibrato depth for woodwinds with thumb wheel/plate, but rate is more easily controlled via CC2.

For strings (I own only the Viola) I map to CC2 all those that Alister did in his YouTube video for violin: bow pressure, bow noise, vibrato depth and vibrato rate.

I recommend for you to experiment tweaking these and explore getting the sound you like. Happy to share my current presets, for those looking for shortcuts.

Kobi

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Tue May 09, 2017 4:59 am

Interesting stuff, indeed !

Maybe you could post an audio of your latest viola contribution with this technique applied so that we can compare.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

Kobir

Post by Kobir » Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 am

The video I posted last week using Viola is with these CC2 mappings that are based on Alistair Parnell's setup video: https://youtu.be/_5Jx-X2fwv0.
I only changed the Min-Max ranges to my taste, but used his exact parameter mapping.