The Cello

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
Pat S

The Cello

Post by Pat S » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:48 am

The Cello is out and it is sublime. One quick technical question: how do I create a portamento within the program, using the Wind Controller settings? It comes naturally with The Viola, but I can't find a control to bring the effect forward in The Cello.

Many thanks for this incredible instrument!

tclement

Re: The Cello

Post by tclement » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 am

The Cello is fantastic. I really wanted the pocketBlakus and Embertone Blackus to work for me. The Cello is exactly what I wanted. It works great with my EWI4000S and Logic Pro X.

Rabbit531

Post by Rabbit531 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Congratulations on the new cello release to Peter, Giorgio, Stefano, Emmanuelle, and anyone else responsible for these amazing instruments!

If the cello is half as good as the viola it will be amazing. But I am sure it's even better. This has been a loong wait but well worth it. There is nothing better than a really good quality instrument for a musician to express their music.

There are now some pretty good VI cello/viola/violin options out there already but I don't think they will even come close judging by the SM viola and the many other SM instruments.

Thanks!

Del

Pat S

Post by Pat S » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm just bumping this thread back to the top, still hoping to get an answer on how to achieve a Portamento on The Cello using a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller.

Many thanks!

leleswam

Post by leleswam » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:31 am

Hi Pat,

sorry for the delay.

the Cello works exactly as the Viola.
When controlling it with a Wind Controller, the best choice to control the portamento time is trough CC, rather than velocity.
When loading the default preset for Wind Controllers, the portamento time control should be assigned to CC already; if not, just select it on the main GUI ("Port.Time" button).
Then, in the Options/MIDI mapping page, select the desired CC number (default CC5) for the "Portamento Time" parameter.
Some Wind Controllers have an inverted logic on the CC5, so you may want to try to set Min = 127 and Max = 0 to transform the input values.
Then, you can act on the "Port/Leg Speed&Thresh" to adjust the portamento speed.

Best,
Emanuele
SWAM team