Laptop latency and the EWI USB

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
paulewi

Laptop latency and the EWI USB

Post by paulewi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:48 pm

I have a Toshiba laptop with 16gig of memory and 2 terabytes of hard disk space. I am running Windows 10.
I am using a Tascam 2x2 as my usb/audio interface.
I have set my buffer size to 128 and I am using 44.1 for sampling rate.

The overall latency in this case is 13.8. This is so much that I cannot double tongue and my chromatic scales need to be slower than I like.

I recently bought an EWI4000s and I am now spoiled because it has essentially no latency when used on Patchman sound banks and the internal synth.

Is there any way to reduce the latency from 13.8 to around 5 or 6? If so, how do I do this? Perhaps a better audio interface?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Maddcow

Re: Laptop latency and the EWI USB

Post by Maddcow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:38 am

A better audio interface would make a significance improvement and should get you down to 5-6ms. If you were a Mac user I'd recommend the Resident Audio T2 thunderbolt interface but given that you're PC-based, that's not an option. It also comes down to your budget; obviously, the more you can afford will generally get you better quality...not just quality of build and components, but also the quality of software drivers and that's all-important when it comes to latency.

What's your budget?
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3

MSchnell

Re: Laptop latency and the EWI USB

Post by MSchnell » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:33 am

The NI Audio6 is especially made for low latency. The driver that comes with the device supposedly is an important issue. I use it with win 7. Works great with no noticeable latency. -Micheal
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de