Script for keyswitches

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
Maddcow

Re: Script for keyswitches

Post by Maddcow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 pm

MSchnell wrote:I feel if I would use a wind controller I would rather use a foot pedal for key-switches. (AFAIR, there are several nice (at least) twelve-key pedals).
Funny you say that: I was thinking exactly the same thing about pedals and was going to look at how I might be able to use my Behringer FCB1010. It's not 12-key but would do the job.
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 pm

IK don't know if the 1010 can be programmed to output the midi signals you need to do the key-switches.

Reaper programing supposedly would help if it does not.

the 1010 does not seem to have USB, so you need a dedicated Midi DIN input in your hardware, and an additional power supply.

Maybe the expression pedals might be useful (I happily do use the volume pedal of my keyboard ). Amd of course the price of the Behring can't be beaten.

I wold take a look at the Keith McMillen 12 Step and the Keith McMillen SoftStep 2.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

Maddcow

Post by Maddcow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:42 pm

I already own a 1010 and I'm fairly confident it'd do the job. I just don't know if I want to carry an extra sizeable piece of gear to my gigs - I'm always looking to reduce the amount of gear where possible but also tend to keep adding bits and pieces!
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3

frokka

Post by frokka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Maddcow wrote:As a wind controller player myself (primarily WX5 but I also an EWI4000S), I love the idea of somehow incorporating SM keyswitches into my live performance because there's no way for me to hit keyswitches on my instrument when performing.
If I could make a new wind controller it would definately have several buttons along the bottom right side of the instrument, maybe even some on the top left side. Perhaps one could make a hardware accessory that fits onto the bottom of the current controllers, where a support column of buttons overlays the bottom right side. It would need to be supported with electrical current as well, not sure if it' s a viable project.

The best would be if SM could collaborate with Akai or Yamaha for a new controller 8-)

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:24 pm

frokka wrote:If I could make a new wind controller it would definitely have several buttons along the bottom right side of the instrument,
Exactly how many fingers do you have ?

In fact I once uttered the wish to be a twelve fingered pianist, but the half-deaf genie in the bottle misunderstood and now I am a twelve inch pianist :(
<I could not resist :) :) :) , you might want to google "twelve inch pianist" for the full nasty story >

frokka wrote:The best would be if SM could collaborate with Akai or Yamaha for a new controller
In fact Akai or Yamaha will ignore SM :(

IMHO a much better option would be to collaborate with TEC.

They already do have the more critical part (the Breath and "Bite" sensor, and with their new device even two additional Tilt-sensors). And obviously they are very innovative and interested, and they are a small company.

For the muzzle of the BBC, they invested in 3-D printing technology. So I supposed they should be able to 3D-Print a Body and finger-unit for enhancing their Breath controller to be a Wind-Controller.

-Michael (just dreaming)
Last edited by MSchnell on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

frokka

Post by frokka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:30 pm

MSchnell wrote: Exactly how many fingers do you have ?
I'm going to count them all right now, just to make sure I got the right number. I'll be back later :)

frokka

Post by frokka » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:51 pm

I've now found that I only have 10 fingers.
Too bad, I was hoping for more, but I guess the little finger is capable of hitting something positioned on the side of the wind controller in most circumstances. There is perhaps no other human activity more taxing on the little finger than playing the Sax, and the EWI is a little lighter in that regard.

Anyway, I've also found something else.
The issue of accessing keyswitches could be solved with a firmware update. If the wind controller is capable of sensing any fingering selection, then those grips that are not used for notes could instead work as switches. Simple as that :mrgreen:

So, for example these grips could each be a different keyswitch:

● ▯ ○ ● ▯ ▯ - ▯ ○ ○ ○ ▯ ▯ ▯
● ▯ ● ● ▯ ▯ - ▯ ○ ○ ● ▯ ▯ ▯
● ▯ ● ● ▯ ▮ - ▮ ○ ○ ○ ▯ ▯ ▯

I will try to contact AKAI about this and let's see what happens..

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 pm

So you suggest that the key switches are not needed while playing a note ?

I don't think that is an acceptable restrictions. The SWAM Flute e.g. has a keyswitch for a "Fall" that can start at any plying note (and has no effect if no note is playing).

-Michael

frokka

Post by frokka » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:48 pm

MSchnell wrote:So you suggest that the key switches are not needed while playing a note ?
I think it will work because it's the breath data (CC2) that determines if a note is played or not. So if you move from a note to a keyswitch the note will still play. The instruments do not care about note off messages, if I remember correctly. Otherwise a script can hold / delay those messages as needed.
MSchnell wrote: I don't think that is an acceptable restrictions. The SWAM Flute e.g. has a keyswitch for a "Fall" that can start at any plying note (and has no effect if no note is playing).
Yes, there are 3 types of switches in SM products:
Note-on (before note), On-the-fly and On-release.

I think the SM software will handle any type without any changes needed. It will be the same as using the wind controller and hitting keyswitches on a keyboard at the same time, which is working already.

Maddcow

Post by Maddcow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:07 pm

frokka wrote:I will try to contact AKAI about this and let's see what happens..
Unfortunately, your chances are about a million to one that AKAI will do anything. I don't recognise your name from the Patchman wind controller forum but if you're a member there, you'd have seen the number of discussions concerning trying to get AKAI to change/add fingerings for considerably more compelling reasons, but AKAI never responds or does anything about it. I really do hope you have more luck but don't get your hopes up.