Script for keyswitches

Please post here topics concerning use of windcontrollers with our instruments
frokka

Script for keyswitches

Post by frokka » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:07 pm

I think I've come up with a bright idea for a way to expand the funtionality of the Windcontrollers.

In Reaper there is a script that lets you play within a selected scale, and remaps notes played outside that scale (MIDI Snap To Key). This script could be edited to let any notes be transposed to the keyswitches. This would enable even more expressiveness and complexity from wind controllers.

The script already has the option to add scales, and it seperates the selection of the root note from the actual scale - which means it can handle any number of scale variants. (Changes can be automated by envelopes in the DAW).

A Reaper script can also be converted to a VST and work in other DAWs.

What do you guys think of this idea?

MSchnell

Re: Script for keyswitches

Post by MSchnell » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:40 pm

How do you think it should be played. Do you mean e.g. setting a base note with the left hand and use the right hand to select scale notes ?

In fact I very happily do play the Flutes using Reaper and a TEC BBC. I did my own scripts and use special Reaper features to support this (e.g. converting the Bite force to the "Style" parameter and use the Mod wheel as well for Growl as for Flutter tong.)

After some training I now think in a live Jazz Band I can do as nicely as an average hobby physical flute player. (In fact in my band there also is a sax player and she does not disagree on that).

As a keyboard player, I would not want to be limited to scales nor learn a new way of creating the pitch of the notes.

-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

frokka

Post by frokka » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:58 pm

MSchnell wrote:How do you think it should be played. Do you mean e.g. setting a base note with the left hand and use the right hand to select scale notes ?
I'm thinking that the script is mainly for production in a DAW, so that the player can focus on being creative in the recording rather than doing edits afterwards. As long as you are playing within a scale there are always notes not being used, and those could instead trigger changes in the sound, etc. The DAW can handle key transpositions, although the keyswitches could handle that too, if desired.

It may not have much use if you are playing live or playing chromatically all the time. It depends on the type of music of course.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:29 pm

I don't think that with a decent (at lease "live") performance there are notes that are not used. I always do half or full note "pre-notes" and trills, and inside-outside parts that don't adhere to a scale.

But maybe that is just my kind of music :)

-Michael

frokka

Post by frokka » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Where can I listen to your music Michael, the page with demos on boa-sorte is password protected..?

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:53 pm

frokka wrote:the page with demos on boa-sorte is password protected..?
The SoundCloud (first link) content is open :)

(Right now, I am thinking about doing a recording of a small freestyle one person solo flute take...)

-Michael

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:21 am

(As you asked for music...)
Here is a first draft of something that once might become part of a song.
-> http://www.bschnell.de/Flute_solo_test.mp3
Just to show that limiting the notes to a kind of scale does not make sense for such live-played stuff. Here done with a breath controller plus keyboard, but I suppose wind controller users might agree. (Here, we are on the wind-controller section.)

Moreover (as you might hear) I already have a rather hard time to decently control the modulation options I already have:
- After-Touch -> Vibrato
- Pitch wheel up -> Flutter tong
- Pitch wheel down -> Growl
- Breath pressure -> Expression (of course)
- Bite force -> "Style"

I do not even use the Mod-wheel yet

in a few weeks I am going to get the version 2 of the TEC BBC. Here I will have two additional controllers:

- Nodding angle (I suppose I'll use that for -> Pitch bend, as it hopefully is very smoothly controllable)

- Head Tilting in another direction (No idea yet if that can be useful for some modulation)

-Michael

frokka

Post by frokka » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Thank you for the music Michael :)

The solo test is a great demo of what the Flute can sound like, even without keyswitches. As you point out you are using the keyboard and a breath controller, which means you already have access to the keyswitches if you want to use them.

Also remember that the Trumpet has a lot more switches than the Flute or the Sax, and some of them change the sound in ways that neither wind nor breath controllers can access. For instance the wah-wah, doit, half-valve and fall sounds are unique. Playing a rapid fall on the wind controller does not sound like the keyswitches.

I am not unhappy about SM products at all, I think they are fantastic! With the script I'm talking about the best of two worlds can be combined, and the room for experimentation will expand.

The script is intended for DAWs with sequencing and automation. It could also be used for live playing when there are fewer scale changes (or none).

I will make a Soundcloud account for my jazz project soon :)

Maddcow

Post by Maddcow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 am

As a wind controller player myself (primarily WX5 but I also an EWI4000S), I love the idea of somehow incorporating SM keyswitches into my live performance because there's no way for me to hit keyswitches on my instrument when performing. I'm not sure that limiting the key/tonality is the way to go about doing this for some players (including myself) but I'd certainly be willing to try it out. However, Apple's MainStage is my performance platform and it's AU only....unless I look at using a solution like Plogue Bidule or Blue Cat's PatchWork to host a VST within an AU-only environment.
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OSX 10.10.5, MOTU Ultralite MK3

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Maddcow wrote: I love the idea of somehow incorporating SM keyswitches into my live performance because there's no way for me to hit keyswitches on my instrument when performing.
As you know I am a Breath controller user, and so keyswitches are no problem for me (Though with the Flutes I only use the "Overtone" switch (modified not to toggle by a Reaper script).

I feel if I would use a wind controller I would rather use a foot pedal for key-switches. (AFAIR, there are several nice (at least) twelve-key pedals).

-Michael