The Trumpet - Double Tonguing advice?

Feel free to ask here all the necessary questions about our Virtual Instruments
action9000

The Trumpet - Double Tonguing advice?

Post by action9000 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi everyone (members and staff)!

I have owned The Trumpet since shortly after its release and I love it...for everything except double-tonguing on the same note because I can't bloody get the feel of it! :P

To my knowledge, The Trumpet has no concept of Round Robin sampling. I own other brass libraries which make the process of double-tonguing very simple due to this round-robin data.

With no such technology in The Trumpet, any attempts to play a quick staccato passage on the same note always contains a machine gun effect.

Is there a technique that anyone here can recommend to get a convincing-sounding double-tonguing performance on The Trumpet?

Thanks to everyone who replies!

Plougot

Re: The Trumpet - Double Tonguing advice?

Post by Plougot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm

First of all, are you using a breathcontroller, a windcontroller, or only a keyboard + modwheel ?
There are several ways to get believable quick staccato, depending on what gear you're using to input your datas and how you set up your virtual instrument.
(Sorry, i'd like to be more precise but I can't check my setup right now and I don't want give you bad informations based on my fragile memory^^)

action9000

Post by action9000 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm primarily using MIDI data entered manually with a keyboard and mouse. This is more when I'm trying to accomplish - writing MIDI data such that I get a convincing double-tonguing sound from The Trumpet.

Any live playing I do with The Trumpet (which is not often, I will add) is with a MIDI keyboard with a variety of CC knobs/sliders. It's an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88.

I don't own a breath/wind controller and I've never used one. I also don't play any wind instruments except a real trumpet on occasion.

I'd imagine the best approach would involve linking velocity to dynamics to some extent (CC25, maybe 30-60?) and changing velocity on each note, utilizing expression (CC11) to control the timbre of each individual staccato note, while using the staccato keyswitch.

If there's more to it, or any alternative techniques that anyone's aware of, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I did a quick try, doubletonguing with my ewi. Is this what you're looking for (in a very very rough form, I did this really quickly. Most of it is a bit too loud, and not really logical in a musical way)?
Attachments
test stac Trumpet.mp3
(667.79 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Plougot

Post by Plougot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Here's the midi file. You'll see I only use CC2, doing the staccato with my breath, holding the note like a trumpet player would (I find it much more convincing this way, repeating the note on the keyboard sounds fake to my ears).
Attachments
Stac Trump.rar
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:55 pm

with my EWI I find it gives good results with the use of the tongue. I interrupt the air flow quickly with the tip of the tongue while at the same time enhance the effect with air pressure (breath).

As I play Samplemodeling instruments only with the EWI, I don't know how to do it with a keyboard. But I think this approach is good:
I'd imagine the best approach would involve linking velocity to dynamics to some extent (CC25, maybe 30-60?) and changing velocity on each note, utilizing expression (CC11) to control the timbre of each individual staccato note, while using the staccato keyswitch.