The Viola with Leap Motion Controller Demo/Problem

Feel free to ask here all the necessary questions about our Virtual Instruments
MSchnell

Re: The Viola with Leap Motion Controller Demo/Problem

Post by MSchnell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:26 am

Plougot wrote:Because I can understand you're feeling reticent about adding softwares in the chain for a live session,
With Reaper, this is no problem at all. I use the great SWS "LiveConfig" add-on and a lot of my own home-brew software in my live setup.

Of course you need to test decently before going on stage. But there will be rehearsal-sessions, anyway :)

I am sure, Kobi will agree :).

For live playing I for a long time considered Forte plus Boeme. But when I learned about Reaper I switched.

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

leleswam

Post by leleswam » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi sgenevay,

yes, I've watched your video demo (great!) and I also own the Leap Motion, so I perfectly understand what you are reporting.
As soon as we will come back from the NAMM Show, we will surely work to improve the bowing gesture.

Best,
Emanuele
SWAM team

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Emanuele, great news !

Of course a solution within SWAM itself is better than anything external tools can provide.

Thanks,
-Michael

sgenevay

Post by sgenevay » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi Emanuele

Glad you liked the video and even more glad you "cached" the problem :)
To be honest, when i bought "the viola" i didn't have the Leap Motion... And i really thought: "god... this looks really good plug but i'm really afraid i wouldn't be able to use it in a realistic way with the keyboard." And by the way, it was really close to finish in a corner of my hard drive because i was really thinking that was really too much complicate to work in a fast and realistic way with a keyboard controlling the plug.
Then i dunno why i mysteriously found out about the Leap Motion and after buying it and testing it a bit, it was like a revelation...
Really u raised the virtual string instrument at a great Level and if u fix this little thing... that will be just perfect. Thanks a lot for that ! and i really can't wait for next instrument in string family cause using it this way.... just woooow !
Best regards.
Sylvain

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:38 pm

sgenevay

Post by sgenevay » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:40 am

Yes Nice post, but i never saw it as I'm not spending my entire life here reading everything....
No I found it out via Facebook, as random commercial.
Ah and by the way.... Reaper is just unusable to me. As far as I know, it's one of the 2 daws which are not integrating vst3 still (shame in 2016).
And as my setup is made of 3 computers working together via ensemble pro. Without vst3 you don't have multi-port midi available in VEP. So for me, reaper is really the last daw I would use as I prefer live (the other one without vst3) concerning user friendly interface and graphics....
Sylvain

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:22 pm

sgenevay wrote: As far as I know, it's one of the 2 daws which are not integrating vst3 still (shame in 2016).
Fortunately you are wrong. Reaper does support VST3. I do use several VST3 plugins.
sgenevay wrote: And as my setup is made of 3 computers working together via ensemble pro. Without vst3 you don't have multi-port midi available in VEP.
I am not aware of VEP. What exactly does it do ?

(Additionally to VEP that you suggest should work "remote" with VST3), Reaper has a feature called "Reamote". Here you can start a small program in another PC and have VST plugins run there (via Ethernet). Works with VST2 and VST3 (both 32 and 64 Bit). You don't need to touch the other PCs, as the complete setup- (and of course run-) work is done at the master.

I did not try it myself. I was told it works great, only downsides:
- The plugins need to be installed at the master and the slave.
- Seemingly there can be problems with Samplers finding their libraries.

-Michael

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:25 pm

regarding Leap Motion and virtual strings, there is a very responsive Reaktor Ensemble. Very intuitive to bow forth and back, creating pizzicato and legato with the movement of one hand, while playing the note values only with the other hand on the keyboard.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/re ... show/7463/

Very realistic physical modeling sound as well.

sgenevay

Post by sgenevay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Emanuele !
Just to know.... did you have a bit of time to check about this leap motion attacks ?
Regards.
Sylvain

sgenevay

Post by sgenevay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:47 pm

Sorry just noticed i didn't have read back last time about last posts. So busy lately...

Michael, i did try a bit reaper when i could. I have to admit it's difficult to me to change again daw just in the middle of a huge project. Concerning VEP3 i guess you found out since your message about it. It's a very useful software sending a huge number of audio and midi track in up to 4 additional computer. Actually I have my main Macintosh linked to 2 PC server in rack. and yes it have to use VST3 to have the benefit of more than 16 midi channel. The mac is only running the daw and a few vst.... the huge work of sample running is left to the pc, and everything is coming back on separate audio track into the mac in real time. The big "plus" of VEP is that it save the sessions setting on your slave computer from the master computer. in other words, when you save your session on your daw, the slaves pc save all setting and sound and you just have to reopen your session on your daw, the slave computers just reload everything without any action. Basically, once my orchestral template is created on the pc, the only action i have on them is to turn them on in the morning, and to turn them off in the evening. i don't even have to turn any screen on. and this is huge. Really if u use big orchestral sessions, VEP5 is just a must have, I don't even understand how to do without it. I know there is other softwares like this somewhere as you pointed it but Vienna is working on it for a long long time, and they have a very stable application with everything well done inside.
so yes, i'm a bit cold to insert again some software on chain, as i have already many running, and one more with the Geco midi app for the leap motion.

Phil999: Yes i have try this after your message this is the plug used in the video we were talking about with Michael, but it has kinda the same problem (i mean violent sound starting when you place your hand over the leap motion, and let's face it, the quality is far far away from the viola in term of realism.
:) but that was interesting link thx :)

best to you.
Sylvain