Notes off issues

Feel free to ask here all the necessary questions about our Virtual Instruments
Mickeyrouse

Notes off issues

Post by Mickeyrouse » Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 am

I have been using the Sax Bros. Quite happily for about 18 months now and I am quite pleased with its capabilites.
However, recently I have been having “notes off” problems. Even though I have the notes off boxes checked in the instrument profile, I can not stop certain notes from playing. I can write a section or phrase that will play with no issues until a particular note gets played. The particular pitch seems irrelevant, but when I come to the same note in the same place the note continues to sound, and does so until I either mute it or change the notes off status (if off, to on, or vice versa) in the instrument profile.
I am running Sax Bros. as a plug-in in Pro Tools 12 with Windows 7. I have made no system changes since I first acquired and installed it.
How do I fix this?

MSchnell

Re: Notes off issues

Post by MSchnell » Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 am

I would use some Midi Log plugin placed "right before" the sound plugin and verify that indeed a note off event has been sent in the Midi stream. (No idea how to do this with ProTools, though.)

-Michael
Last edited by MSchnell on Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

Mickeyrouse

Post by Mickeyrouse » Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm

As widespread as Pro Tools is and due to its heavy professional use, it would seem that would be a priority fix. I have also played with samples and buffer sizes, to no consistent remedy. BTW, I am working at 192 KHZ sample rate.

Mickeyrouse

Post by Mickeyrouse » Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Are you aware of a “notes off” key switch? Sometimes, though not consistently I can create a notes off condition by entering a note outside of the playable range of the instrument.
The maddening thing is, I have done about one hundred arrangements with multiple sax parts with no problems, until this started showing up a couple weeks ago. I have made no hardware or software changes and not knowingly made any kind of setup changes.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Wed May 09, 2018 6:33 pm

The log would not be a fix but just show what midi messages get sent to the sound plugin, so you can see what is happening.

-Michael

Mickeyrouse

Post by Mickeyrouse » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 am

In checking the log, there are no notes that should not be there. However, Baritone, while playing B also sounds D above it at the same time. The B ceases as directed, while the D continues until the “noted off” box is changed ( makes no difference which way) in the instrument profile. The MIDI log may be considered to be “clean.”

Mickeyrouse

Post by Mickeyrouse » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 am

And for that matter, nothing but note information is in the MIDI log.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 am

Mickeyrouse wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 am
In checking the log, there are no notes that should not be there. However, Baritone, while playing B also sounds D above it at the same time.
That is extremely weired. Sorry, no further ideas on my site.

-Michael

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Maybe you should try another host (e.g. Reaper features a fully functional Demo free installation) to try if ProTools is involved in the problem.

-Mihael