Swam Flutes Staccato Airy Noise and Trills

Feel free to ask here all the necessary questions about our Virtual Instruments
DANIELE

Swam Flutes Staccato Airy Noise and Trills

Post by DANIELE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am

Hi, I have to questions:

1) When I perform staccato on Swam flutes I hear a very loud airy noise on the attack of the notes that is not tunable. Obviously when you blow in a flute you will hear an airy noise but this is to loud and when I try to put my flutes in an orchestral panorama it sounds unrealistic. Is there a way to tune this sound? I tried with breath sound but it not affects what I'm talking about. I compared it with a normal sampled library and although the noise is present it is much more delicate.

2) How can I perform a realistic trill? My tries always results in unrealistc machinegun note repetitions.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

MSchnell

Re: Swam Flutes Staccato Airy Noise and Trills

Post by MSchnell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm

DANIELE wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am
2) How can I perform a realistic trill? My tries always results in unrealistc machinegun note repetitions.
I don't see this problem (using a Midi Keyboard and a TEC BBCv2).
-Michael
Music examples -> http://www.boa-sorte.de

DANIELE

Post by DANIELE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 am

MSchnell wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm
DANIELE wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am
I don't see this problem (using a Midi Keyboard and a TEC BBCv2).
-Michael
I'll try to upload a sound to let you hear it.

And what about airy staccatos? Can you avoid them too?

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I meant: I don't have this problem when playing with my instrument.

Please explain what you mean by "perform".

I suppose that you send much to high expression values to the instrument. expression greater than - say - 64 (=50%) is dedicated to fortissimo accents.

-Michael

DANIELE

Post by DANIELE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:02 pm

MSchnell wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm
I meant: I don't have this problem when playing with my instrument.

Please explain what you mean by "perform".

I suppose that you send much to high expression values to the instrument. expression greater than - say - 64 (=50%) is dedicated to fortissimo accents.

-Michael
Nevermind, I managed to get a trill.

For the staccato I recorded a short example:

https://clyp.it/m5c12n3b

I don't know how to get rid of this loud airy noise, even if I use low dynamics this sound stil persist giving the impression that the player is in front of me.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

I only get this sound, when I blow with a very hard attack. IMHO this is perfectly OK.

-Michael

DANIELE

Post by DANIELE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:13 pm

MSchnell wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm
I only get this sound, when I blow with a very hard attack. IMHO this is perfectly OK.

-Michael
It's ok at strong dynamics but not at low dynamic, maybe it depends on blowing as you say. Maybe even if I stay at low dynamics I I blow in a way that causes an hard attack and I get this sound. I forgot that the attack of the blowing (in breath controller mode) influences the sound.

I have to do some test and see what I could achieve. However it is difficult to draw the dynamics for each note if I wanted to insert the notes by hand and not recording them.

DANIELE

Post by DANIELE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm

MSchnell wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

-Michael
I can't play a smooth sound, the notes are too close to each other and I can not draw a dynamic with a slow attack. Do you blow into the controller every single note?

I hear that sound at every dynamics, mid, low, super low. Can you please record a little phrase with staccato notes and post it here?

Thank you.

MSchnell

Post by MSchnell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm

DANIELE wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm
Do you blow into the controller every single note?
Depends. If I trigger the note by blowing, its "normal" staccato, if I keep blowing and press another key it's legato.That is how a "real" wind instrument player would play.

With a breath controller you can keep blowing, lift all keys and press a new key. That results in a rather unnatural "feeling" staccato. I'm not sure if I intentionally do that. In the end for me this is a wind instrument.

-Michael

DANIELE

Post by DANIELE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 pm

MSchnell wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm
DANIELE wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm
Do you blow into the controller every single note?
Depends. If I trigger the note by blowing, its "normal" staccato, if I keep blowing and press another key it's legato.That is how a "real" wind instrument player would play.

With a breath controller you can keep blowing, lift all keys and press a new key. That results in a rather unnatural "feeling" staccato. I'm not sure if I intentionally do that. In the end for me this is a wind instrument.

-Michael
Yes, ok, I know it. But here you have a controller for the blowing and a controller for playing, so you have to do two actions that in the real instruments are closely linked.

With the controller and the keyboard you have to sync your key press action with your blow action a it results in a complicated thing. And even if I rapidly press keys and blow on every note I get this noise. For me there should be a way to tune it.